Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sweet Sentiments Valentine Wreath


This project started out with a wooden wreath base I picked up at a local garage sale. I am always on the hunt for things with flat surfaces which can be easily altered or adorned with paper.   With the heart motif, it was destined to be altered with Graphic 45's Sweet Sentiments just in time for Valentines Day.  




Sweet Sentiments Heart Wreath
Sweet Sentiments 12x12 paper
May Arts Ribbon
Petaloo Flowers
Distress Ink and Stain in Tea Dye
Adhesive
Wooden Heart Wreath Base
Gesso



To create a nice base I painted on a layer of gesso and once it was dry, I aged it with Distress Stain in Tea Dye.  The paper was added in layers that were stitched together on a sewing machine.  I am not a seamstress by any means, but I do like to add thread as a design element from time to time. 




In order to make the edges of my central image disappear, I fussy cut small elements and camoflagued the edge.  This little trick makes such a huge difference.




Another trick used in this project was to age my ribbons from May Arts.  The ribbon was pink and white to start out.  I thought it was a bit too stark, so I simply wet the ribbon and then added some distress stain.  I love how the aged look really pulls it all together! 




So the next time your shopping around a garage sale or estate sale, be sure to keep your mind open to finding fun things to alter. 

Cheers, 

Rhea


2 comments:

  1. I'm determined to go garage sale-ing this summer, if I can find great pieces like this.

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!