Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mermaids Wanted



Since I absolutely adore mermaids I knew I had to make this image the focal of my first project with this lovely new paper, By the Sea for Graphic 45.  



I chose a contrasting background that would make the blue imagery of the “My Anchor” sheet pop.  Once I glued down the background and my layered images, I decided to get fun with some ocean themed stuff I had around the house.  I started by gluing down the starfish with matte medium.  At this time I also layered in some netting that went with the aquatic theme.  Then I got crazy with the shells, layering and layering.  




Finally I dusted it with sand, even adding some matte medium in areas to build up my drifts.  I love how the sand added texture.  




The “mermaid wanted” sign is sandwiched in between two sheets of mica to give it a reflective quality.  I finished off the piece with a plastic anchor that I think was intended for a fish tank.  I find lots of cool stuff at garage sales.   




I hope you are now inspired to add a bit of mixed media collage to your next project!  

Cheers!

2 comments:

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!